Chemotherapy . . .
Once I was officially diagnosed with Cancer and made it through all the testing, it was time to come up with a plan.
Check out my Original Cancer Journey Post
Check out Pre-Treatment Post
My Oncologist "Dr. Priya" and I had a long heart to heart discussion. I told her I have a newborn adopted son that I had waited years to bring into my life, and "dam it" I was going to get to watch him grow up. So we devised the most aggressive plan that would give me the best odds of not having a reoccurrence.
For chemotherapy treatment, I would receive:
A/C [Adriamycin and Cytoxan] This would be administered every three weeks for 4 cycles; approximately 3 months. After that was completed I would be switched to Taxol, every week for 12 cycles, for another 3 months.
The reason for the two different treatments is that one attacks rapid reproducing cells, and the other attacks slower grow cells, giving me the best option to stop the cancer at different stages.
The first treatment was terrifying for me, and I quickly became grateful that I had the port installed in my chest. I was dropped off by Mr. Breeze, poor man was so sick but I had to have some one drive me there and home so he did it. Unfortunately that meant I was by myself for three long hours, however I made good use of my time with my iPad.
Once I was seated in the treatment room in a nice recliner, was hooked up to an IV pole through my port. They took out some blood to test to ensure that my red blood cells, white blood cells, and palettes were a high enough count to be given treatment. Then I was on a saline hydration solution until the blood work came back (usually 15 minutes). After that I was given a pre-chemo concoction through the IV that included steroids, anti-nausea medication, benedryll, and others. This would drip for around 30 minutes. Then came the Chemo drugs. I would receive three large syringes of the Adriamycin (also known as "Big Red" in the chemo room). This had to be pushed by a nurse at a timed interval over 15 minutes. During these 15 minutes I was told to eat ice chips. The goal of the ice chips is to freeze the cells in your mouth to help avoid mouth sores. This drug causes a number of side effects and mouth sores is one of them. As soon as the nurse was done pushing the Big Red, I was instructed to take my IV pole and go to the bathroom. It was amazing how quickly it goes through you, and the bright orange pee proved that.
I would then proceed back to my chair and they would add the IV bag of Cytoxan, and I would sit for another 45 minutes while that was dripped into my system.
This was pretty much the procedure each time for 4 cycles. Sitting in the chemo room I received a lot of sympathy, as many of the patients were much older than I was (most were in their 70's and 80's). Here I was not quite 35 at the time, and wondering how I got cancer.
I must admit it was during chemo that I started to go through the next phases of grieving: Anger and Bargaining. I was very angry - I would read literature on how to reduce your risk of cancer, and wonder what I did wrong to get this.
- I have never smoked
- I maintain a healthy weight
- I am fairly active
- I am not a heavy drinker (maybe 1 drink a week)
- I have a normal blood pressure and healthy cholesterol levels
- Okay, so I had my fair share of stress . . . but did that give me cancer at 34?
It was tough sitting there for about 3 hours each cycle. I had too much time to think, and I would bargain with myself. If I make if through this I am going to change my life, or I will take advantage of every day and every moment I am given. That part was actually good for me, as I have enjoyed each milestone with Baby Breeze and been much more aware of joyful things in my life.
Okay, so the side affects of the A/C:
First it is a myth that you lose weight on Chemo. Over 80% of us actually gain weight - in fact over the entire 6 months of my chemo I gained 20 pounds. This was most likely due to the fact that I did not get sick, as the anti-nausea medication really works. Plus the steroids I was on messed with my metabolism, and actually put me into early menopause. I also found that foods I used to like no longer tasted right, and found myself eating a lot of pasta.
Yes, I lost my hair. In fact in started falling out 2 weeks after I started chemo, and on my 35 birthday I found myself standing in the shower, crying, washing out large clumps of hair. I spent about a week with thin patchy hair before I finally had Mr. Breeze shave the little bit left off.
Also, because the A/C would wipe out my white blood cells, in order to rebuild them I would go in for a shot called: Neurolasta. This shot was great in keeping me healthy enough for chemo, but caused extreme bone pain. The best way I could describe it is that is felt like someone was taking a screw driver and trying to crank it through my shins. [I found that Claritin and Aleve helped, but I would recommend checking with your doctor on this].
I was tired, and had a lot of anxiety/panic attacks. Things like a sock on the floor would set me off, and I knew I was over reacting but I couldn't stop myself. I also lost my ability to laugh at myself, and I know that put a lot of stress on Mr. Breeze because in the past we would always laugh when the going got tough.
After my 4 cycles of A/C, I went immediately onto the Taxol - I will right about my next 3 months of Chemo in a separtate post as this one has gotten so long . . . stay tuned.
which was given to me weekly. The good news was that the doctors felt that the tumor was reacting positively and getting smaller. The Taxol had completely different side effects. Since Taxol affects slower growing cells, it was at this time my eyebrows and eyelashes completely fell out. I was hairless all over my body at this point.
It also causes neuropathy, and my feet felt constantly numb. You know that feeling you get if you sit on your foot too long and feels like it is asleep? That is how my feet felt all the time, and my fingers started to get it too. [Update: Today I am 10 weeks past chemo - and I have no neuropathy in my hands, and just a tiny bit at the ends of my big toe].
Add about Wig, other side affects
Next Step after Chemo is three week to let me blood cells recuperate and then Surgery.

No comments:
Post a Comment