Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Say what??!?!?

Baby Breeze turns a year old next month.  Where has the past year gone?

We were thrilled the day we were able to bring Baby Breeze home from the hospital last year.  He spent 10 days in the hospital and was released on Thanksgiving day.  It was such a fitting day.  We couldn't have been more thankful than to bring our little guy home. 

Since then he has thrived.  We have watched him learn to figure things out for himself, test his limits and bond with us.

Baby Breeze is of a different race than Mr. Breeze and I are, so the casual observer can tell he is adopted.   This apparently makes it okay for people to make comments to us.  While many times this doesn't bother me, sometimes it catches me off guard.  Baby Breeze has a story but that is his to tell the world someday, until then we need to find a way to deal with the comments.

Some of the comments that have caught me off guard:
"What age did you adopt him at?"  Or when he was really little "Wow, I did realize you could adopt "them" [referring to his race and assuming he was from a different nationality] that young." "Oh, is he adopted, I was adopted at 6 weeks old, where did you get him?" "Does he look like his father?"

Say what?!?!?  

My son was born in United States, he is an American.  I have been apart of his life since Day 1 [okay, technically I was not there for the day he was born, but since that is considered Day 0, then yes, I have been there since Day 1].

I have been accosted in Walmart, the grocery store, even in the park.    

Even Mr. Breeze was asked once while on a walk in the park with our son and our dog, "Do you adopt all those foreign kids?"  Really?

So how do we answer these questions?  I know our guy is little right now, but I am sure that someday this may bother him.  I don't want to tell his story to every one.  Right now, I am trying to just say say something along the lines of, "thank you" or "yes he is adopted and we love him."  But I feel like I have to tell his story every time and I need figure out how to get over that.

I would love to read comments from others that have had to deal with this situation.  How do you handle it?

No comments:

Post a Comment