Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Dear Birth Mom - Year One

We do not know anything about our son's birth parents.  The mother who choose to give him life rather than abort him.  The wonderful woman who made the hardest decision I could possibly imagine, in order to give her son a better life knowing that for some reason she couldn't care for him.

As my little guy approaches his first birthday, I sit here and reflect on how he came into our life.  I mourn for his loss of his birth mother, and her loss of her son.  Yet I am so grateful for the opportunity to raise him as my son, to show him how to be a valuable and productive member of society.

If I were to have the opportunity to send her a letter, this is what I would love to tell her:

Dear Birth Mom,

I can not express the joy that your birth son has given us since the day we met him.  I wonder at times, what name you would have given him.  Did you have a nickname that you called him while you carried him for nine months?

I can only imagine that you think of him often and wonder how he is doing, and if you made the right decision.  I would like to share some of the highlights of his first year with you.

He spent 10 days in the hospital, mostly for jaundice and to run a number of test to ensure he was healthy.  We were allowed to bring him home on Thanksgiving Day, and we were so grateful and thankful that day.  He got to meet his new Paternal Grandparents, his Great Grandfather, Great Aunt and Uncle, and some cousins.  It was a busy day for our little guy.

Since that day we have watched him grow and thrive.  He is a very smart baby, and seems to figure out problems so quickly.  Whether it was discovering that his toy was still under the blanket when he lifted it, or how to open the cabinets, he always found a way.

He turns one today, and he is growing into a confident toddler who loves exploring his world.  He is not walking yet, but can hitch himself around by using the furniture or pushing a chair around.  He is a busy baby, who is constantly on the go until he finally falls asleep at night.

His favorite toys are cars, trucks, and anything that isn't a toy [cardboard box, empty bottle, paper that crinkles].  He loves being outdoors in nature.  And he is such a water bug.  Whether it is the bathtub, his kiddie pool or a giant lake - if there is water he is in it.

He is very independent and while he won't lets us cuddle him often, he can be super sweet and cuddly when he wants to be.  And his laugh is the most wonderful sound in the world!

Thank you!  Thank for you providing me the chance to be a mom, thank you for choosing life for our [yours and mine] son, thank you for giving birth to a very special little boy.

We are looking forward to every year to watch him change and grow.

Sincerely,
Baby Breeze's Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment