I do not make New Year's Resolutions. It seems like anything that I plan on January 1st, last about 1 week. For some reason there is something in our society that encourages us to create resolutions that are set up to fail. Not sure how this came about, but found that it does not work for me.However I am always making goals. Goals can be adjusted (I know, this is probably just my warped sense of thinking, to some of you these might be the same thing, but this works for me). I set goals throughout my life, some are short term, some longer term, and all get adjusted as time goes by.
So before 2014 officially get here, I decided I would set some yearly goals for next 12 months. One thing I have continued to used since Business school is setting SMART goals.
Smart Goals for 2014:
- Spend more time with my son [each day set down the electronics and get down on the floor and play for a minimum of at least one hour - this might be tight during the weekdays, but I am going to make the effort]
- Increase Net Worth by $100,000+ [through reduced debt and increased savings]
- Establish Healthy Habits [focus on healthy eating more healthy dinners at home and eating out less than 5 times a month, lose 25 lbs. by January 2015 and getting out and moving for at least 5 hours each week]
That's it, just three goals. Yet these goals, will give me a sense of purpose, help me sleep at night, and allow me to live a long happy life.
I have read that by telling others your goals you are more likely to achieve them. So maybe I will have to do a goal update each month to see how well I am achieving my goals, and to have everyone hold me accountable. We are already tracking the Net Worth, so maybe I need to add Healthy Living and Time with my son as well.
Okay I am ready to bring on the New Year!!! Here's to 2014!

No comments:
Post a Comment