Okay, I have to share my best Black Friday Savings . . . I spent nothing! We had already bought all our Christmas presents (well I have one more to go, but I can pick it up anytime), so I had nothing I needed to buy.
Of course, I checked my email Thursday night, after our wonderful family dinner, and was bombarded with Black Friday Ads and savings. I started looking at them, and my thoughts started wandering:
"oh, that's a cool gadget"
"Baby Breeze needs one of those"
"What a great deal, I should buy one now and save it for later"
Get my drift. I actually started putting items down on a list, with their store locations and prices.
When I finished checking all my emails, I looked at my list. Then I did the smartest thing I could have done, I pulled out my Goal Sheet (I have since pinned it to my wall). The one that says, "Retire at 40 so that I have more time with Baby Breeze."
It was then that I looked back at my Black Friday shopping list, and realized that Baby Breeze doesn't need more toys, Mr. Breeze doesn't need any more clothes, and I don't need any more gadgets. My Black Friday list was going to cost me $458 dollars (but save me over $1,000 dollars). Sure we have the money for that, but there was nothing on the list we NEEDED. So I took the list, and tore it up. Then I went back to my email and deleted every Black Friday AD I could find. I even removed my name from some of the email lists, as I have found I am very susceptible to a "good deal." What did I spend, NOTHING! But I gained the freedom of finding that best deal. Cost: $0
So what did I do on Black Friday . . . I got up and spent TIME with Baby Breeze, rather that getting up early to go from sale to sale. We made breakfast at home, and played with his many toys. And instead of being tired that night, I got to take Baby Breeze along with my parents, and Mr. Breeze and go downtown to watch the tree lighting ceremony and watch Baby Breeze's first parade! Cost: $5 (for parking).
We made memories, enjoyed time together (the whole reason I want to get out of having to work), and spent only $5 dollars, and honestly it was the best Friday that I have had in a long time. I can't tell you what deals I have gotten in past years, but I will always remember my son's face as he saw the tree light up, and watched the parade go by.
Hoping you all have a wonderful holiday weekend, and if you spent less that we did - Congratulations, if you spent more - - look over those "savings" and decide if the really got you closer to your goal.

No comments:
Post a Comment